Beginner Sewing Class Part 1 - Non-garment project-based learning
· Sewing Machine, foot pedal, power cord, all attachments, manual
· Sewing Kit: Scissors or snips, stitch ripper, stiletto or awl, measuring tape and ruler, pins, pin cushion, clips, marking tool, hand sewing needles, thimble.
· Rotary Cutter, ruler, and mat *Optional*
· Thread, bobbins, needles
· Pen/Pencil and paper for notes.
This class is scheduled for one session, of 6 hours instruction time.
The objectives of the class are as follows:
· To learn the basics of operating a sewing machine, threading, tension, needles (recommend useful resources).
· To learn how to make a button hole, how to sew a zipper, and to create a stitch guide/chart.
· To Practice sewing straight and curved lines.
· To sew a project or two, to practice the skills learned.
· To learn the composition of fabric, and cutting and sewing directional fabric (nap).
· To learn how to measure, mark, cut. Rotary cutting will be demonstrated.
· To learn proper ironing/pressing and why it’s important.