Beginner Sewing Part 2: Sewing Garments (Garment Construction) - Day Class: 9:00AM - 12:00PM
4-week class (3 hours x 4 sessions)
This 4 week (12 hours) course will introduce you to sewing simple garments with woven and knit fabrics. You will learn to read and follow instructions from commercial patterns. You will understand the importance of ‘grain and stretch’ when constructing clothing. From preparing your pattern to final hemming you will learn a variety of sewing techniques, which will serve as a foundation for your next steps in garment construction. You will be required to purchase the Family Pants pattern which we will have at the store. The T-shirt pattern is a free PDF download which you will need to print at home. Fabrics will need to be purchased separately.
Projects and Skills: Adult or Child-sized options
Week 1: PJ Cotton Shorts/Pants or easy summer shorts prep (pattern purchase required)
- Working with a commercial garment pattern:
- Choosing the correct size – prepping pattern – pinning with the grain – cutting-marking important points – test sewing seams and seam finishing – patch pocket
Week 2: Ready Set Sew
- Set up to sew – proper pinning – seam it – elastic waist casing – inserting elastic – machine hem
Week 3: Sewing with Knits – Summer T-shirt PDF Pattern (free download)
- Working with PDF patterns (print pattern before class)
- Choosing the correct sizing – understanding differences between patterns designed for knits and woven fabrics – types of knits – pinning and cutting – marking key points – test sewing seams and seam finishing
Week 4: Ready Set Sew
- Set up to sew – proper pinning – seam it – neckline –inserting sleeves – twin needle hem finishing – applique demo
Note: There are 4 identical sessions on the calendar, you only need to purchase/sign up for one of them to enroll in the class.